Monday, September 28, 2009

Amos 5-6

Let's face it religion just doesn't cut it. Israel claimed that they longed for the "Day of the Lord" to come. Amos warns them it's not going to be as great as you think it will be. Because of their unfaithfulness it would be a day of darkness not light. This reminds of those who can't wait until Jesus returns, but never really do anything for the Kingdom of God. They sit back complaining about how bad things are now and how important they will be when the 'role is called up yonder'. Who said role would be called anyway, "Bueler, Bueler, Bueler..." Warmed church pews, dusty old Bibles, offerings for show, and Squealing out the high notes of "How great thou Art" reminds me of chpt. 5 verses 21-27. Started by the statement "I hate, I despise your religious feasts, I cannot stand your assemblies".
This brings me to the question, What's our motivation? What's our motivation for worship, giving, serving, singing, shoot for breathing. If we aren't in it to Love God and people what's the point. I guess that's what Amos was asking Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment